Engagements: Outside the Portrait
Don't get me wrong, the new traditional engagement portrait is absolutely stunning! Probably some of my favorite images on planet earth right now are the works of Ben Sasso, Hinterland Stills, and A Fist Full of Bolts. They're beautifully unposed, raw, and incredibly emotional. But what if you want to swim against the current? Do something outside the box? Like the HS Senior who had her portraits done at Taco Bell - what if you just want to make it goofy, fun, and a different kind of memorable? Well, in the most eloquently spoke words of Shia LeBouf, "Just do it! Don't let your dreams be dreams!"
So, what if you're saying yes to non-traditional portraits but aren't sure where to start or what to do? Don't worry! I've collected information and compiled data into a starter list of activities:
- Roller Skating Rink - Yes, this may be a bit of a middle school throwback for most of us but you'd be surprised how fantastic it can feel to bask in that nostalgia with the one you love! Goofy music, moody lighting, wobbly legs, nacho cheese, and smelly old skates? What more could you ask for?! (A fun alternative could be ice skating if that's more your thing, but wear warm clothes).
- Bowling - Again, throwing it back a little (maybe because I'm writing this on a Thursday). But pizza, curly fries, drinks, colorful balls, potentially crazy socks, those shoes, 80's rock music? Winning.
- Concert/Local Show - Now this activity can be photographed in day or night, depending on the time of year. Night shows could give you a moody grunge vibe where a summer festival could be really goofy, light, and warm!
- Pool Hall & Beers - Wanting the downtown experience but something a touch more intimate than Idea 3, this is great!
- Cooking or Baking Together - Pick a recipe! Something brand new or something you always cook together? You can even make it up on the fly. Let's go to the store, get the goods, head to your kitchen, and cook up a whole lot of adorable romance!
- Dinner & Movie at Home - This particular bullet can definitely be paired with the one above or you can order in some take out, put on some comfy pajamas and curl up on the couch for your favorite flick.
- Antiquing - Most towns have at least ONE antique shop with some PRETTY amazing goods. Grab your significant other and go on a treasure hunt! Try on hats, skim the old record collection, find yourself some colorful dishes or see who can spot the creepiest toy!
- Dance Lessons - Pure romance. 'Nough said. ;)
- Outdoor Sports Activity - Maybe you and your SO are the outdoorsy types and really want someone to capture that? Just go for it! Hike to the mountains, do some bouldering and make moments to remember for a lifetime!
- Go Kart/Mini Golf/Arcade Extravaganza - Three words (if you live around the Bellingham, WA area): Castle Fun Park. Throw something casually cute on, grab your passport, cash in some money for tokens (or a cool token credit card thing) and take the place by storm! You wont regret it, I promise.
There are so many more things you can do that are unique to you and your person, this list is only the tip of the iceberg! I'm offering 15% OFF Out Of The Box Engagements through the end of MARCH - send me an email and let's see what we can come up with!